Fulwood Shop – Assistant Manager
Age Concern Central Lancashire is a multi-award winning charity and one that is proud of its reputation and Lancashire based heritage amassed over 40 years.
The charity remains fully independent and is recognised locally as an industry leader, innovator and expert. In 2020, Age Concern Central Lancashire has been awarded two highly prestigious accolades, the ‘BIBAs Business Hero’ Award and the Red Rose ‘Lancashire Business View’ Award in recognition of its contribution towards society and ability to operate using effective commercial tactics.
“Hard work, ingenuity and impact: this organisation may be in the non-profit environment, but it runs like a well-oiled business should and has measurable impact for service users across the county.” – Red Rose Judges 2020
Established in 1981, Age Concern Central Lancashire provides a wide range of services primarily aimed at older people and their carers within the boundaries of Lancashire. The charity is well known for providing dementia care and support within the county in addition to a wide variety of services aimed at helping people to live well and age well.
As a self-motivated and well-organised individual you will have excellent interpersonal skills and will understand and be inspired by the challenges of charity retailing.
You will support the Cluster Manager in maximising shop sales and profits through the effective operation of the shop. You will also assist the Cluster Manager in the supervision and training of the volunteers and provide cover at the organisation’s other shops as required. Ultimately; the charity is seeking a person who reflects its core values and has the right attitude and resiliency to succeed within this rewarding role and who can make a positive and solution focused contribution to the charity.
Job Title: Assistant Manager
Reporting to: Shop Manager
Base: Fulwood Shop
Salary: £17,682.50 per annum
Hours: 36 hours per week
Closing date: Monday 10th January
Interviews: Tuesday 18th January
Duties and Responsibilities
• To support the Shop Manager to maximise the income and profits generated by each shop through the application of identified sales and management strategies.
• To support the Shop Manager in controlling operating costs whilst complying with organisational policies and procedures.
• To support the Shop Manager in the maximisation of donations of stock from the public to sustain stock levels, applying the organisation’s procedures for display quality, rotation, ragging and transfer of stocks between shops as outlined in the Retail Operations Manual and as by directed by the Shop Manager. When acting operationally as the most senior staff member and in the absence of the Shop Manager to maintain existing management practices and in the absence of the Shop Manager to report directly and seek guidance from one of the other shop managers or the most appropriate function lead in the event of an emergency.
• To maintain agreed standards of presentation, in both the windows and the interior of the shops, and ensure compliance with marketing strategies in place.
• To ensure organisational standards of customer service are maintained.
• To support specific retail initiatives and undertake any related training to maximise income generation through trading activities, including but not limited to:
– Internet trading in line with guidance from the Shop Manager
– PAT compliance testing of electrical goods sold through the shop
– The sale of new and used mobility aids and equipment
– External events
– Promotion of the charities partner services or products
– Sale of new goods.
• In the absence of the Shop Manager to interview, induct, train, supervise and support volunteers and all non-paid support in a professional manner in accordance with Age Concern Central Lancashire’s policies and procedures seeking guidance from the Shop Manager on any issues beyond normal operational matters.
• When acting operationally as the most senior staff member in the absence of the Shop Manager to be responsible for the shop’s security during opening hours and at close of day, including all cash, stock and equipment, ensuring all relevant processes are followed to minimise loss, theft and damage.
• To ensure all health and safety practices are adhered to.
To support the Shop Manager in ensuring compliance with trading standards legislation.
When acting operationally as the most senior staff member to support the Shop Manager ensuring compliance with HMRC regulations and data protection in the running of our gift aid scheme.
• To support the Shop Manager in organising the shop’s rota to ensure adequate cover at all times, ensuring appropriate levels of volunteer, placement and other approved non-paid support is in place to ensure the shop can be run effectively and efficiently.
• To complete agreed daily, weekly and monthly administration tasks as outlined in the retail operations manual, ensuring accurate files and storage of data is maintained and all necessary paperwork is forwarded to Head Office within time scales specified.
The post holder will also:
Achieve the level of computer competency as required for the role
Work in accordance with all of the organisations policies and procedures
Participate and contribute generally to the organisations activities, attending meetings and conferences as required
Participate in the organisations fundraising and promotions and events, working with other members of staff and volunteers
To undertake other duties which may be required by the organisation which are consistent with the duties and responsibilities of the post
This post is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Flexibility Clause: Some flexibility in the working hours will be required from time to time. For example Board meetings may be scheduled or extend out of normal office hours. This job description is not intended to be exhaustive. The post holder will be expected to adopt a flexible attitude to duties which may have to be varied (after discussion with the post holder) subject to the changing needs of the organisation
For an informal discussion please contact Tracy Kershaw on 01772 437969
For this position only a CV is required